Monday, May 23, 2011

In Real Life

Do you remember being in school, sitting in your least favorite class thinking... why do I need to learn this?  When will I ever use this in real life?

I have several old books.  Some I've read.  Others I bought simply because of the way they looked.  One such book is called The New Methods in Arithmetic.  In school my least favorite class was math.  Anything to do with math.  Last night, my son brought me this 90 year old math book saying, "Read it to me!"  I thought, sure... you'll be bored (and maybe a little sleepy) after the first sentence.

So I started reading, and while my son quickly lost interest, I kept going.  I soon realized it wasn't an actual book for children to use.  It was a book probably used at the college level by soon-to-be teachers.  It talked about "the old way" of teaching arithmetic... the solving of pointless equations, and dealing with figures that in no way related to real life.  Then they gave this new, useful example:

The boys and girls of the Welfare Club plan to earn money to buy a Victrola.  There are 23 boys and girls.  They can get a good second-hand Victrola for $5.75.  How much must each earn if they divide the cost evenly?

Did you get 25 cents?  I could definitely see this being useful... in 1921.

Maybe you don't have any old arithmetic books sitting around.  There is one old book though, that you probably do have somewhere.  Despite it's age, the information within has never become outdated.  There are 100 million copies sold worldwide each year.  It's the best-seller of all time...the Bible.

I used to feel the same way about the Bible as I did my Math book.  What is the point?  I don't understand it, and how does it apply to my real life?  I've grown up a little since my last math class, and since I thought of the Bible in that way.  Numbers effect my daily decisions... from how many eggs go in to a recipe to how many gallons of gas go in to my car.  The Bible's words effect my daily decisions too...

Here are a few verses that encourage and give me strength to get through the day.  Maybe they'll help you as well.
 

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. -Philippians 4:13

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. -Proverbs 3:5

So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries.  Today’s trouble is enough for today. -Matthew 6:34 


I really could go on, but now I encourage you to take out your own Bible, or look up some verses online.  There is something for everyone, in every situation, to be found in those words.  The Word.  So go ahead and learn about it.  I guarantee you'll benefit from this book and it's meaningful lessons... in your real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless.”

~ Mother Teresa