Monday, July 25, 2011

Trifle of a Centerpiece

The kitchen is a great place for reinventing utilitarian pieces in to something decorative.  Take a trifle bowl... you can use it to make layered desserts, dips, and salads, but speaking for myself... I don't use it very often.  So, I took it down from its place in the pantry, and made a centerpiece out of it.

The themes I kept in mind were: natural & beachy.  I didn't buy anything special... just searched around the house to put this display together.


Surprise!  The "tablecloth" is actually a cloth shower curtain.  I gathered it up on the ends to 1) hide the plastic strip at the top of the curtain 2) lend a casual feel.

Next I laid down a woven placemat (Katie Brown workshop, bought at Meijer's on sale a few weeks ago).  Then I centered the trifle bowl on the placemat and added 2 candles on either side... I tried the candles on upside-down sundae glasses and in small white bowls.  Both ways looked great, just use what you've got!


Now for the trifle bowl, the center of attention...  I found a tiny terra cotta pot (you could use any hard, small, level object) and centered it in the bottom.  Next I poured my old white button collection around it as filler...  If you don't have buttons, consider using shells or light-colored rocks.  On top of the terra cotta pot, I centered a rusty metal lid from an old 'Saltines' tin... you could use any small metal lid.  I centered a pillar candle on the lid and finished the arrangement by weaving in pearly branches I usually bring out at Christmas...


 
That's it!  It doesn't take much to make a special table display...
without spending a bundle.  Take a look around your home and get creating!

“You can’t use up creativity. 
The more you use, the more you have.” 

~ Maya Angelou ~


4 comments:

  1. My daughter helped put this display together... we included some white rocks she'd collected, and a seashell from her Grandma Berry's trip to the ocean. She was so proud that she helped, and continues to point out her treasured contributions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you for inspiring me:) See the side-bar on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Janet! You've got some gorgeous flowers in your garden! Love your enamelware version... I have a green enamelware bowl hanging in my kitchen that would be perfect for this... and yet I probably wouldn't have thought about it had I not seen your table :)

    ReplyDelete

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless.”

~ Mother Teresa